Monday, October 18, 2004

The Gospel According to the Son

I finished this book of Norman Mailer's last night, and it is a quite a departure from my usual fare. Essentially, it's Jesus of Nazareth's autobiography. I can't really comment too much on the accuracy or reasonableness of the content as I am not particularly conversant in the Bible. The review exerpts on the book's cover and inside pages are quite glowing - although that may be partly because it's Norman Mailer.

In any case, it was interesting in the way that a museum exhibition on Biblical stuff is interested when it's aimed at the general public - not too wordy or elevated, but just fancy enough to get people to say "Ooooh," and "Neat" or whatever words are cool enough for them to use.

I couldn't even tell you if it's heretical or blasphemous. I can imagine some hard-core holy folk getting a little worked up, if only because religion is involved. This book questions the veracity of some of the Gospels, but on the other hand, doesn't really come down too hard on the Gospel-writers for it.

There's lot's to chew on here, and it's well worth reading.

No comments: