Saturday, August 12, 2006

Gabriel's Lament - Paul Bailey

This book took a little longer to read - mostly because I've taken to listening to podcasts on the train, during the time when I normally focus on reading. Listening and reading is proving rather difficult, though I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Right... Gabriel's mother's about half his father's age, his father's a bit of an up-himself Willy Loman type. Mummy dearest leaves, Father makes like she's having a nice little holiday (now that he's come into some money), Gabriel doesn't account for much til the end of the book, which is more or less a chronological musing taking place some time after Father's passing.

There are interesting bits in the book, Mr Nazareth particularly; and the Lament itself is quite believable. I shall keep to myself the trigger of the grief which spawned the Lament, suffice to say that after the revelation it was more of a 'well, that makes sense' type of reaction than a 'no way! I'd never have thought' one.

And that fits in perfectly with the story.

No comments: