Friday, September 14, 2007

A minor taste of reality, or wresting deep thoughts from an afternoon of sitting in a boat.

The experience of success, great or small, often encourages the building of expectation that further success is a logical extension of that first success. We humans scurry about the good ship Earth striving to achieve goals and dreams, whether they be goals of vast wealth and influence or mere subsistence. Overall, humans do adequately well in achieving those goals – our proliferation as a species and ability to make claims of progress and improvement provide evidence; the null hypothesis suggests that were we not proficient in achieving goals, aside from fading from existence, we would generally be weighted by the burden of repeated defeat and perhaps exhibit a general despondency. We are not an unhappy defeated species.

The evidence of this success makes the assumption of further general success seem a rational, even reasonable assumption. Since we have managed to accomplish x, why would we not be able extend ourselves to do y, which may be a yet more ambitious goal, and not immediately within our grasp… let our reach exceed.

A brief discussion just now with my lovely better half prompts me to point out that I am referring to the faulty “there was success, therefore there must be further success”, rather than the more realistic “there was success, therefore further success is a possibility.” Also, beware the risks inherent to talking about emotional reaction from an overly intellectual or rational bent.

How about getting to the point, three paragraphs in? In the race last weekend, my reach did exceed my grasp:

Not only did I cross the finish line in absolute last place, I managed to make my handicap noticibly worse. This is not at all in keeping with the expectations borne out of the previous race results. Why indeed would I entertain the possibility that, of all the shocking and horrible outcomes, this one would come to pass?

My yet-nascent skill becomes painfully apparent, analysing the progress of the race consists mostly of recognising that on the first lap I kept up rather well; on the first leg of the second lap I lost time adjusting my outhaul; the third lap was shocking as I lost the plot and dwindled to a speck behind the fleet, and the fourth lap was a bit better as I made some time up on the fleet. I think there is room for improvement in working to windward… check that, I know there is heaps of room for improvement. The trick is figuring out what to do differently in order to gain the greatest benefit.

Tacking and gybing were major weaknesses in the first half of the race – either because of the winter break, or because of my rudimentary ability, I managed to come to a nearly dead stop on the majority of my tacks… not a good way to win a race. I think I got the hang of it again by midway through the third lap.

But in the end, we cannot lose sight of the fact that a bad day on the water (or engaged in our favourite activities) is better than a good day in the office (or wherever we must be).

No comments: