Monday, May 21, 2007

Good Morning Hanoi - Iain Finlay and Trish Clark

I haven't posted about any books lately, largely because my completion rate has fallen dramatically. However, since the last book post I have finished a couple of books.

The first one highlights the year the authors, both retired journalists, spent volunteering for the English language service of the Vietnamese government's radio network, and it is a very interesting and engaging story - more so than Liz Anderson's Red Lights and Green Lizards, which was strikingly similar (older folks go to Asia to help out). Where Red Lights spent (I thought) too much time on the trials and tribulations, Good Morning acknowledges challenges but focuses more on the joy and pleasure of jumping into a different world and delighting in it. I suppose Vietnam is comparatively easier for English speaking Westerners to find their footing in - I can't quote relative per capita GDP PPP off the top of my head, but I am pretty sure that Vietnam is a bit further along the development curve than Cambodia.

Notwithstanding the homogenising influence of development, though, Iain and Trish certainly had their hands full negotiating both cultural nuances and political machinations in trying to do their bit to help the keen and motivated Vietnamese staff at the radio station. Their story is told with a warmth, and even almost a twinkle (sure, it's an odd description for a written story, but it fits this one).

A huge shout out to Grandma Pat for this Christmas present!

No comments: