Monday, May 21, 2007

Goodness, I am terrible with anniversaries

Wow. I have been living in Australia for the past two years and 10 days. Isn't that exciting?

Of course, that's not including 10 days in Cambodia, two days in LA, and 4 days plus 3 weeks in Ottawa. I would be more accurate to claim that I moved here two years and 10 days ago. Where does the time go?

I suppose it gets all used up running around getting used to a different place. It's not so different from home (home #1, I guess) but there are enough little things that take a bit of adjustment. It's not like changing from CNN to Al Jazeera in Arabic; more like CNN when there is a bit of a delay between the image and the audio. Not incomprehensible, it just occasionally gives a bit of pause for interpretation.

It also gets used up just living. I know I am not a wonderful shining example of keeping in touch with all the folks in the old country. Heck, I'm not even that good at keeping up with people in the new country. I suppose we get properly wrapped up in the effort of going flat out tending to the transplant procedure that other parts of the metaphorical garden of life are neglected.

Hopefully no one calls the weed spraying service to tidy up... worse yet, the paving people. Anyway, pulling back from the brink of a well-beaten metaphor...

What do you suppose is a better indication of 'successful adjustment to a new environment'? Would it be the adoption of a routine from which deviation is notable - that is, a normal routine in a brave new world? Or is it living a series of discontinuous episodic experiences, dipping in and out of elements of the new reality without adopting any sort of rythm outside the syncopated vignettes?

I daresay tonight's McGlutton meal was seasoned with some sort of interesting herbs, to come up with warbling like that last paragraph.

Anyway. Happy anniversary to me and to Simmo.

No comments: